In this episode, Jerry Bradshaw discuss:
- Why to train targeting in police dogs.
- Using fendeds in training.
- Training secondary targets.
- How to decoy the dog while training targeting and fendeds.
- Create a dog that has a habit to bite in a place and doesn’t have to make decisions at the last minute.
- Be patient when teaching secondary targets – the dog will often not recognize it as a target at first.
- Repetition is the key – the dog will get faster, more confident, and more fluid the more you practice.
- Notate the targeting training in your training records.
Connect with Brad:
Book: K9 Tactical Operations for Patrol and SWAT & K9’s in the Courtroom
Get Jerry’s book Controlled Aggression on Amazon.com
Tarheel Canine Training: http://www.tarheelcanine.com/
Protection Sports Website: http://psak9.org/
Train Hard, train smart, be safe
“We are trying to create a dog that doesn’t think when he comes in for a bite. What we are trying to do is create a muscle memory habit in the dog.” — Jerry Bradshaw