In this episode, Jerry Bradshaw and Aaron Kemp discuss:
- What it takes to run a dog training business.
- The sacrifices needed to start and run a successful business in the first five years.
- Handling dogs with fear aggression.
- Reintroducing the newly trained dog with their owner.
- Bonding with the dog before training them makes it so much easier, especially if there is aggression.
- Dogs want predictability in their environment. As trainers, you can create that for them.
- Tackle on stimuli one at a time, don’t just overload an anxious, stressed dog with fear aggression.
- You need a lot of positive interactions, trust building, and exposures to work with fear aggression. It’s not impossible, but it does take commitment.
“The importance of bonding with the dog and getting that relationship really can’t be understated.” — Aaron Kemp
Facebook: Superior Canine
Get Jerry’s book Controlled Aggression on Amazon.com
Tarheel Canine Training: www.tarheelcanine.com
Protection Sports Website: psak9.org
Train Hard, train smart, be safe.
Show notes by Podcastologist Chelsea Taylor-Sturkie
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.