In this episode, Jerry Bradshaw discuss:
Understanding the e-collar and how to use it well.
The differences between leash and collar versus an e-collar.
Providing clear communication to your dog.
Proper fitting of the e-collar.
How to find the correct stimulation level and type for your dog.
- The e-collar can be used as either positive punishment or negative reinforcement or both.
- Prime a behavior first with positive reinforcement before using negative reinforcement.
- Take the dogs behavior into consideration – are they understanding and still refusing, or are they confused and not sure what you are asking of them?
- Train in a system, don’t just start with no idea of what you’re doing.
- Every dog will feel the stimulation differently, so play with the settings on various types of collars to find the correct working level for your dog.
“The electronic collar is not a problem-solving device. However, properly used, it can be integrated into your training.“ — Jerry Bradshaw