In this episode, Jerry Bradshaw discusses:
- What to look for in a detection dog.
- Benefits of teaching hunting first.
- Eyeing detection washouts earlier with direct reward systems.
- Understanding action patterns and how they fit into detection training.
- The hunting drive should be of primary importance.
- Build the action pattern strongly, final response is an obedience pattern that can be taught later.
- A stop and stare is going to degrade.
- When working a large quantity of dogs, not all are going to be the 1% unicorn dogs.
“If you want to develop the best possible hunting, you really have to focus on developing the best possible action pattern.” — Jerry Bradshaw
Get Jerry’s book Controlled Aggression on Amazon.com
Tarheel Canine Training: http://www.tarheelcanine.com/
Protection Sports Website: http://psak9.org/
Train Hard, train smart, be safe.
Show notes by Podcastologist Chelsea Taylor-Sturkie
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.