In this episode, Jerry Bradshaw discuss:
- The difference between a trial decoy and a training decoy.
- Ways to be a better decoy for your club and what you need to do to become a certified decoy.
- Knowing your skills, the theory, and how to put them in practice
- The importance of understanding defense.
- Know your training progressions and skills progressions to best train the dog.
- There is more to learning to be a decoy than just experience. Search out other opportunities to learn, whether from video or books or seminars, not just experience.
- Be predictable and systematic in your training. Understand successive approximation.
- Everything you do in front of the dog must have a purpose.
- Teach young dogs that they win every single fight. Teach the dog that they control everything.
“There’s no ‘shoulds’ in dog training, there’s just what is with that particular dog.“ — Jerry Bradshaw