In this episode, Jerry Bradshaw discuss:
- How Project K9 Hero came about and what it does today.
- The different types of operational missions that one might have with explosive dogs and how to train for those.
- A recent Facebook thread on false alerts and false responses from K9s and Jason’s take on that thread and what he saw on missions he was on.
- The Cargo Screening Initiative and how the detection is changing and where it is going.
- When working dogs are retired from government, they do not have a retirement fund to help with their medical bills regardless of what they do during their career. Project K9 Hero is striving to honor these dogs and ensure the best quality of life for them.
- Train in your operational environment to give the dogs the best opportunity to work on the operations.
- Don’t necessarily discount a training reward type. There are positives and negatives to both food rewards and toy rewards. Learn what works with your dog. Consider using both.
- We should use dogs more proactively, rather than reactively, to increase the safety around the world.
“If we want to be a secure nation, we’ve got to step up our K9 game. K9 explosive detection plays an integral role in that.“ — Jerry Bradshaw